Friday, August 29, 2014

Introduction: My Personal Addiction To Romance Novels

This is a photo of me taken by me.
Hello, my name is Stephanie Teater. I am currently a Sophomore at Washburn University and am majoring in English-Writing Emphasis with a minor in Psychology. 

As an aspiring romance writer, I crave the psychological escape within romance novels. Some of you might be wondering why my escape is within the confines of something as simple as a romance novel. I don't know about you guys, but as you might predict, I am a hopeless romantic. I am a romance novel addict and I've read many romance novels from a variety of authors.


Romance novels explore the dream of eternal love through words on a page. Not to be cliche, but romance novels pursue the idea that love conquers all. I think that anyone who picks up a romance novel for the first time innately desires some variant of true love. The definition of true love may vary from one person to another, but ultimately the desire exists within the reader. It is the reader's means of fulfilling a missing part of themselves or a missing part of their lives. In some cases, it rekindles that desire when hope is lost. 


Romance novels can also be a great source of insight. Of course, real life circumstances are different from ones within a fictional story. However, many stories contain elements that a reader may connect with. The story may even give the reader more insight into their current relationship.


Romance novels that lean more towards the genre of fantasy really give the reader a wide variety of an escape. Strong elements of fiction are placed within these novels. Most novels such as these describe different worlds, people, values, etc. They give the reader a chance to expand their minds and open up to new ideas. This is something that I want to do with my writing. Not only do I want to capture a reader's attention and make him or her feel, but I want a reader to open his or her mind and immerse his or herself in a new world. 



No comments:

Post a Comment